Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Underwear Hangers

Here's some light reading :


Over the past six years , I have made numerous crocheted items for friends , family and organizations . There were baby blankets to a crisis center as well as for  a friend's baby shower . From blankets ,  baby hats , booties and slippers to stuffed animal clothes . BUT . . .

BUT . . . . . .I have never been asked to make , what Emily calls , an underwear hanger . Yes , you read it right . An underwear hanger . Who ? What ? Why ?

My mom gets her hair done every week at the same hairdressers for like decades . They have a pair of sisters , senior  citizen ladies , that like to hang their " privates " such as underwear and bras on a hanger out on their balcony . They were in search of someone who would crochet or knit a new set of these hangers for them . Of course , they immediately thought of my mom or myself .

Mom , who has knitted beautifully in her youth , has absolutely no patience left in her body any longer . She happily thrust that duty to me . Handing over to me a bag containing an old sample of what they used to hang their privates : Could I please do something with this ?

I pulled  out the tattered hanger , a box of clothespins , and a skein of yarn . What am I to make with this ? I took it home , making no promises . After a week , this is what I came up with .

I showed them , all five of them , to my girlfriend and now she wants a set for herself . I thought she was joking , but alas , she's quite serious . Honestly , what am I missing here ?

BUT then . . . the more I look at it , the more I liked it so much that I've decided to make a set for myself . Odd as it may seem , we shall add this to my  portfolio .

Have a Blessed Day everyone .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...