Wednesday, January 23, 2013

PART 8

My life in the hospital took on a routine and the staff became my second family . Every morning at 6:00 a.m. , the hospital came alive . The  swarm of interns made their daily rounds , then came the doctor's assistants , followed by my doctor . This also was the time where one's day would be planned for tests or meds .

After breakfast was served and selections made for lunch and dinner , one was urged out of bed . There would be no laying around  . A sponge bath or shower followed depending on your condition . They would prop you up in a recliner and a blanket , while the sheets changed and the room was cleaned .

My nurses' aide was an African American woman named Lulu , who had ten children . She always had a beautiful smile on her face . She was my favorite . I always wondered if her ten children had anything to do with that gentle , loving nature of hers . A few years later , Kathy and I were invited to a church and we ran into each other . She was literally happy to see me in good health . I was glad to be able to thank her for her good care of me .

Three times a day , I would go on a walk around my floor . Once in the morning , afternoon and evening . This was a project , dragging all my equipment with me . My mom stayed quite alot with me and this became one of " our outings " .

Everyday , like clockwork , I had therapy sessions . Before noon with the occupational nurse and afternoon with the physical therapy where I actually left my floor . The second always came right before my favorite show on television would come on . Everyday , I wished they were behind or maybe cancel our session so I could watch it . That , of course , never happened .

If there were any tests to be done , you were wheeled away to wait in line with other patients . This I really liked . If I had a particularly difficult day , I'd always be wheeled next to someone who had a worse one . This I found humbling and suddenly , my day wasn't so bad . Sometimes , I think God planned it that way . Being in a hospital , you find so many people with real serious issues that are dealing with things you can't even imagine . That's something we need to remember the next time someone irritates us . We don't know what they may be going through in life .

By the time dinner came around , I would have visitors . My friend Jan came by regularly . This was my favorite part of the day . My doctor always made  an appearance , no matter how late it was . There was a snack cart that came through , but I never got to participate . During these early months , I had eating restrictions . I craved that snack cart and would watch it roll away with a pout . So would you if you saw the cookies and pudding that was on that cart .

Nighttime  was the worst for me . You see , one becomes accustomed to a hospital time clock . Every couple of hours , you are awakened to have your  vitals checked  . You don't sleep eight hours , you take naps . If you have a roommate , you can't really have the light on . I was very lucky to be in a single room , but what does one do ? You run out of things . How much television can one watch especially if you've seen all the episodes already ?

I don't know why people think you can rest in a hospital . My day was pretty full . I didn't mention the phone ringing ( usually my mom ) nonstop and the constant hospital staff that flowed in and out . Since the staff became my second family , they would visit me on their break . How nice is that ?
Have a Blessed Week everyone .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...