Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Good , The Bad , The Ugly

Chemotheraphy : Good ole chemo . There are more varieties and side effects than there are flavors of ice cream . Google any type of chemo and a long list appears of do's and don'ts . I have been extremely lucky with my chemo . During these three times my cancer has come back , I've only been on three different types . That is huge !

Poor Linda ,  she has been on numerous types  and I believe that finally this current one seems to be working . Chemo really does a job on your body . I have experienced all kinds of side effects with the three I have had . I can deal with some and absolutely hate the others . I have placed them into three groups : the good, the bad , the ugly . Here are some examples of the symptoms I've had .
THE GOOD:
Yes, there is good . The cancer itself is the good . How can that be ? The cancer brought an awareness and  emphasis on relationships that I haven't known  existed . The relationships I have with my children , my co-workers , strangers in the world and with Jesus . I am so aware of the precious time I have with all of these people . That is the good . The sleeping all the time  is not bad either .
THE BAD :
Being nauseous and extremely tired , are standard symptoms of all chemo . Another few are diahrrea , constipation , numbness and tingling in your hands and feet . All of these , I can handle . They are not pleasant , but you can basically take something for it . It's do-able .
THE UGLY:
I can't stand steroids and what they do to my body . I gain weight and become bloated everytime . Not to mention I turn this unbearable red  beet color . Next , metal mouth syndrome . It turns everything I eat to tasting like it's spoiled . By the time I'm done with my treatment , I don't enjoy food . Coffee , for instance , tastes awful . I miss that the most . Another one I detest is losing my hair and eyebrows . I'm fortunate that this time around my hair is only thinning out and not going completely bald .

Believe me , by the time I'm done with it all , I'm usually very glad it's over . Then the side effects from the side effects happen , but that's another story . Oh well , Have a Blessed Night everyone .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...