Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Road To Recovery

When I was in the hospital , I received many gifts to preoccupy my time . One of those gifts was a book called " Ninety Minutes In Heaven " . That book changed my life . It really spoke to me and the  situation that I was facing .

There was a chapter where the author spoke of accepting his bodies' limitations after an illness . He seemed to have such a hard time and it took him years to finally accept it . I couldn't understand this no matter how  much I tried . Little did I know that I , myself , would have trouble with acceptance . Even now , six years later , I'm still not there .

I guess , I just wanted things to go back to the way they were , and of course , that's impossible . You can't go through something so major and not expect it to change you on the inside as well as on the outside . You emerge a different person altogether .

During my illness , many people came together to help me and my family . My mom's co-workers got together and donated their vacation time so my mom could spend time with me in the hospital . There were neighbors , friends of friends that offered up prayers for me , people that I have never met . People came together and sterilized my house from top to bottom , washing furniture and carpets so I would not get an infection .

I have many fond memories from that time . I have never felt so loved in my life . Everytime  I started to feel down , a get well card would appear magically in the mail . I had the opportunity to say " I love you " to the people in my heart . Not many can say the same .

There are a few things that stand out in my memory , like the time my older brother came for a visit , spending the whole day with me . I have never heard him speak so much as he related one story after another . Or the time my children spent the day together , taking a picture in a photo booth to place at my hospital bed . The numerous visits that my younger brother drove me back and forth to without complaint .

A new me was emerging from her cocoon , all ready to live life . Full of energy and  thirst for what God had in store for me .
Have a Blessed Life everyone .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...