Monday, January 7, 2013

A Life Lesson

As a Sunday School teacher , I like to feel I am making an impact on these young lives . I will spend so much time going over a lesson in my head , because I want to make it perfect . I want to be able to reach them with the message . In my mind , I want them to sit up straight and take it all in , their little faces rapt with excitement .

Unfortunately , it doesn't always work out that way . There are times , when the lesson is a miss instead of a hit and I fall flat on my face . A time when their attention span is gone and all they want to do is play . Sundays like that are not easy on my ego .

Same thing happened this past Sunday . I was up majority of the night before in preparation . One of my teachers didn't show up and others were late . I left my papers at home and suddenly panic set in and I froze . The lesson was okay , not my best , but I wish I did better . Deep inside , I was very disappointed in myself . Feeling defeated , I dispersed the children into their separate classes .

Taking over the class with the no show teacher , I sat down with the 3rd-5th graders . There were 6 students , but the conversation that flowed round that table was everything I ever hoped for as a teacher . Time flew as we sat and held a discussion .

I learned a valuable lesson . They were listening , even if it seemed the opposite . Two , it's not about the quantity but the quality . Three , I'm not Charles Stanley or Joyce Meyers . They are wonderful , perfected preachers , but I am me .I may not get it right every time , but I love Jesus and I love what I do . Sometimes , the simple way is the best way .
Have a Blessed Day everyone .

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Reminds me of Moses arguing with God about the fact that he couldn't speak very well and needed an assistant! Humbling to serve the Lord in all of our weaknesses, isn't it? But, somehow I think that's what He prefers... :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very humbling being a teacher because , like I said , there are times when we hit a miss . Children amaze me on a continuous basis .

    ReplyDelete

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...