Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Discernment As A Christian


                                                       Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                        everyday is a journey.

When I was a baby Christian, I saw things differently than I do now, many years later. I was so full of excitement and readiness for my new life. I felt that I was such a newbie and everyone else around me were these perfect Christians. I felt they were better at everything than I, much better. They could pray like a warrior while I struggled in my meek trembling voice. They had a Bible verse ready for every problem I had shared with them. I wanted to be just like them one day.

You can imagine the shock and disappointment I felt when I would see these same people whom I held in such high esteem, fall off the Christian wagon and never get back on. I've learned that appearances mean nothing, it's what on the inside that matters.

The more I study the word of God, the more I am convinced that few people really know their denomination's doctrine. I firmly believe that if I'm claiming to be a Christ follower, I better find out what that means, especially with the world changing so much around us. What does my Church's doctrine stand for? Do you know?

We as Christians are taught discernment for many will come claiming to be something they are not. If it looks like a duck, it doesn't mean it can quack like a duck or that it really is a duck. Yet, many of my fellow Church members, co-workers and friends have different views on what the word of God represents. These are the same people that sit beside me in Church every Sunday. How could we claim to be of the same faith and yet believe so differently?

I don't know. I thought that maybe it's because of this feel good mentality that is promoted out in the world today. Then I thought that maybe we are each at different levels in our spiritual walk. Some of us, unfortunately, are not who we claim to be. Maybe it's all of the above. 

The world today is so split. Every increment of our faith has been taken apart and dissected into complicated pieces making things more difficult than they actually should be. The doctrine is the doctrine. The word of God is the word of God. We cannot change it to make ourselves feel better or justify our actions. Why do we fall into that trap?

Discernment is important for many will come claiming to be something they are not. 

Have a Blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...