Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Recovery


                                     
                                         Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


--Ralph Waldo Emerson.

There was nothing more I feared than the recovery. It wasn't fear of dying like everyone assumed, but the pain that would follow. Well, I can honestly say that I was wrong. This was nothing like the last time!

Yesterday, I had an appointment for my post-op that I was dreading. I knew that the staples would be removed (yikes!) and we all know about those sensitive areas of our bodies where the smallest tinge of pain can be magnified. One would assume that I would be accustomed to pain by now, but that is not true at all. In fact, it's the opposite.

Since I still had my staples, I haven't been driving at all. If I needed anything, others were only to happy to help out, especially my friend Belen. It was she that drove me to my appointment and sat patiently in the waiting room. 

So they took out my staples, cleaned up my incision and then we got down to the nitty gritty of deciding what to do next. It seems that I will be having chemotherapy, at least three infusions. Also, my oncologist felt some radiation would be required. 

Now, I'm very familiar with chemo, but radiation, not really.  The idea of  coming and going to the clinic daily for like three weeks or so, is overwhelming to me. All I could think about was the cost of parking  is so high already and now I'm using it everyday for 15 days! Uggh!

When I came out into the waiting room, there was Belen sipping on coffee. Apparently, there is a coffee station right here in the waiting room and I never knew about it! I've been coming here since 2011 and never noticed this huge table setup in the corner. How weird is that? 

  For the rest of the day, I felt frustration. Not only was my belly aching after all this attention it received earlier, but now I had all these appointments to make, ones that I wasn't looking forward to. It wasn't what I had imagined when I agreed to the surgery. I thought I would recover and after some time go back to work. Now we are facing another treatment blah, blah, blah. I really thought I was pretty much done, but we will do whatever we have to get a grip on this cancer. 

Have a Blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...