Thursday, June 2, 2016

Throwback Thursday

 

                                               Everyday is a brand new 

                                               day, everyday is a journey.

  Here we are at yet another Throwback Thursday in the year 2013 where we look back and provide an update on where we are now. 

Today's post makes me laugh every single time I re-post it. I do so because I consider it hilarious. This post has taken me in quite a bit of trouble the first time I published it for everyone to read. I can almost guarantee that there will be someone asking me to make this for them. 

Oh yes, the trouble. Sorry, I strayed for a minute. The first time when I posted the following, someone complained to the various social media outlets where I shared my blog that the contents of this story where dirty. I think the problem was a language problem and the translation of the title in this person's language. I did get to see the original complaint that was sent which was typed in very broken English. Just imagine the title of The Underwear Hangers being translated into Russian or Assyrian. No wonder they thought the contents were dirty. 

Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

 

The Underwear Hangers

Here's some light reading:

Over the past six years, I have made numerous crocheted items for friends, family and organizations. There were baby blankets to a crisis center as well as for  a friend's baby shower. From blankets, baby hats, booties and slippers to stuffed animal clothes. 

BUT . . . . . . I have never been asked to make, what Emily calls, an underwear hanger. Yes, you read it right. An underwear hanger. Who? What? Why?

My mom gets her hair done every week at the same hairdressers for like decades. They have a pair of sisters, senior citizen ladies, that like to hang their "privates" such as underwear and bras on a hanger out on their balcony. They were in search of someone who would crochet or knit a new set of these hangers for them. Of course, they immediately thought of my mom or myself.

Mom, who has knitted beautifully in her youth, has absolutely no patience left in her body any longer. She happily thrust that duty to me. Handing over to me a bag containing an old sample of what they used to hang their privates: Could I please do something with this?

I pulled out the tattered hanger, a box of clothespins, and a skein of yarn. What am I to make with this? I took it home, making no promises. After a week, this is what I came up with.

I showed them, all five of them, to my girlfriend and now she wants a set for herself. I thought she was joking.
BUT then . . . the more I look at it, the more I liked it so much that I've decided to make a set for myself. Odd as it may seem, we shall add this to my portfolio.

Have a Blessed Day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...