Sunday, January 17, 2016

O Holy Sabbath

                                           Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey
                                         
One of our main objectives has always been to leave the Sabbath as Holy as possible. Sunday around here is Church day and family day. We try not to have any social events to take away from the sanctity of the day of rest. That means no hard laboring such as laundry, vacuuming etc. I have to be honest and admit that there have been times we have broken that objective. This morning as I glance at the overflowing hamper (more than usual) I am tempted to do so again, but I don't. I really want to stay committed to my goals this year. So as we unfold this Holy Sabbath, I hope you will enjoy this poem that means so much to me and my feelings regarding my Faith. O Holy Sabbath!

Love bade me welcome; yet
my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-eyed love,
observing me grow slack from
my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me,
sweetly questioning
If I lacked any thing.
A guest, I answered,
worthy to be here.
Love said, You shall be (here).
I the unkind, ungrateful?
Ah my dear, I cannot
look on thee.
Love took my hand, and
smiling did reply,
Who made the eyes but I?
Truth Lord, but I have
Marred them: let my
shame go where it doth deserve.
And know you not, says Love,
Who bore the blame?
My dear, then I will serve.
You must sit down, says
Love, and taste my meat:
So I did sit and eat.
George Herbert

Have a Blessed Sabbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...