Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A Conversation


                                                                  Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


Beyond all wealth, 
honor, or even health, 
is the attachment we form to noble souls, 
because to become one with the good, 
generous, and true is to become, 
in a measure, good, generous, 
and true ourselves. 
--Thomas Arnold.


A conversation at work between three people discussing FMLA and the various company policies on that subject.

Person 1: How do people survive on that kind of financial percentage when on FMLA?
Myself: Some may not have a choice.
Person 2: It's easy. Just come to work and take the pain.
Myself: It maybe a little hard to do when you're having surgery, chemotherapy and radiation.
Person 2: Oh yeah. Your cancer.

Sometimes the big dramatic event that took place ten years ago in your life becomes the norm. Another bout with cancer. Another treatment. Another remission. Another same thing. Nothing new. That concern that overwhelmed everyone that knew you, wore off after the third and fourth time. At least, it seems like it is so. 

I think it could be that I am doing so well. I certainly don't look like I'm sickly in anyway. I'm not taking any kind of medication. I'm working. I guess, in a way, I'm pretty independent. Why wouldn't people think I could handle it? 

Take my work, for instance. No one knew has been hired since my cancer diagnosis. Even if they were, I had several more bouts with cancer back in 2011, 2013 and 2015. One would think that everyone remembered my health crisis, but it is not so. They have forgotten.

I know I should take it as a compliment. I'm "health" independent. I work and care for myself. I definitely don't look ill in any way. I don't care for the word victim at all. On the flip side, I know I wouldn't care for very clinging type of attention. It's just that when someone says to you, what do you need a handicap space for?, my feathers get ruffled. What do they mean why? That tells me this person really doesn't care about people. There is no concern that we all should have towards one another. 

That, I find extremely sad. Forget about me, but what does that say about our humanity? If we don't care about the people we see and work with everyday, then what do we think about the nameless on the streets? On the news? Across the globe? This is a problem, because we live in a generation that only cares about themselves. As long as it doesn't effect my little home and the people in it, it's okay. That couldn't be farther from the teachings of Jesus Christ. 



Matthew 25:35-40Modern English Version (MEV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave Me food, I was thirsty and you gave Me drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in. 36 I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you visited Me, I was in prison and you came to Me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 And when did we see You sick or in prison and come to You?’
40 “The King will answer, ‘Truly I say to you, as you have done it for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you have done it for Me.’

Have a Blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...