Sunday, October 29, 2017

Simply Nutrition

                                                     Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


 One holy Church, one army strong,
    One steadfast high intent,
  One working band, one harvest-song,
    One King omnipotent.
S. JOHNSON.



It was just an ordinary day, nothing special. I opened up my Facebook and saw a post from my nephew-in-law. In the last couple of years, they have become vegan. It didn't happen overnight, it was a slow progression of making healthy choices in their lives. Each new path took them on a journey of slowly eliminating certain food from their diet. It's all about nutrition. 

Three years later and now they are healthier than ever. His cholesterol went down, they both slimmed down and both participate in triathlons. It's funny, because he wasn't for it in  the beginning. Their oldest daughter was suffering multiple stomach aches and certain foods were the culprit. Her food lifestyle had to change and being a great mom, my niece included the entire family on their healthy journey. 

That decision changed everything, especially their love affair with food. It didn't happen overnight, but slowly as they figured out what was best for their family and their bodies. Nutrition isn't about counting calories and diets. It's about feeding our bodies what is good for it so we can benefit from the vitamins/nutrition they provide. 

Being curious, I went online to learn what vegans actually were eating. I knew they did not eat anything from the animal like eggs, milk or cheese. What I found surprising was that they eat a lot of nuts, dried fruits and grains. 

Now, we eat vegetarian meals around here, but I am always looking to improve in the healthy eating department. My goal has always been to eat less pasta and this seemed like a much better alternative. When we cleaned out our pantry, we stocked up on all kinds of nuts, dried fruit, beans and grains. There are vast amounts of different grains and beans so boredom wasn't about to happen here with recipes. 

Honestly, I don't miss pasta. I haven't had any for about two months. I'm nowhere close to being a vegan like my niece and her family, but I won't rule it out. Who knows where we will be in a few years? We're always improving in the nutrition department. We're learning and adapting as we go.

Have a Blessed day everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...