Sunday, October 28, 2012

All My Worldly Goods

An Estate Sale :  When I saw the notice , something leapt from the page - couch . I have been wanting to replace my futon in the living room for awhile now . Keeping my options open , I've looked at sales in stores for a brand new one and even an used one . I'm always looking for a bargain .

Never really been to an Estate Sale before , after reading the advertisement , something urged me to go to this one . My niece , Kathy , simply adores them so I asked her to join me .

Pulling up to the residence , we both admired the home's structure and outside appearance . Inside , the home looked like a remodel hasn't been done in the last 20-30 years . Yet , as I went from room to room , I fell in love with the home . It was badly need of work here , but the layout was beautiful . It just simply worked .

Walking from room to room , this person's treasures all laid out , being sold for a fraction of their worth . Eagerly , I searched for that couch because in my mind , I felt this was the reason I came here . I would find that couch that I have been searching for . When I did finally find it , it was a disappointment . The couch needed an overhaul just like the house itself .

I walked through that house twice , revisiting each room again and again , not really knowing what I was looking for at that point . In my hands I held two porcelain bowls , total worth - $ 3.00 . This person was selling all their priced possessions and all I could find was these two bowls .

Heading towards the cashier , I spotted a box on a recliner that wasn't there the other two times I passed through . Opening the box , I found a treasure . It was filled with the most intricate , artistic yarn I've ever seen . These types of yarn you only find in specialty stores . Digging deeper into the box , I pulled out unfinished work so beautiful , done in patterns I haven't seen before . This person was trully gifted and talented . I wanted this box no matter how much it cost .

Leaving , the cashier , thanked me for coming because the owner was a senior citizen in need of money . I came in looking to buy a couch and instead I walked out with someone's talent in my hands . This yarn is meant for something special . I don't know what I will use it for , but I know there is a project lined up for me and it involves this yarn . The couch will have to wait .
Have a Blessed Week  everyone .


2 comments:

  1. It's sad to me that this poor lady has to let all her things go, even the work of her hands. I'm glad that you were there, though, Lottie, to scoop up the beautiful yarn and handiwork. If it had to go, I'm glad it went to someone who appreciates its true value. I hope you make something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another estate sale this weekend in River Forest where the mansions are. :) Sometimes I just like to walk into those houses, just to imagine what life would be like.

      Delete

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...