Thursday, July 5, 2018

Ponderings

                                                                      Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                       everyday is a journey.

Teach me your mood, O patient stars!
    Who climb each night the ancient sky,
  Leaving on space no shade, no scars,
    No trace of age, no fear to die.
R. W. EMERSON.

My melancholy and reflective mood has kept my mind going into overdrive. To say that I am disappointed with the latest development at my work, would be an understatement. All my hopes of retiring in a few years just went out the window. Or at least, I certainly have to rethink my way of thinking. 

The problem began with my not understanding the whole retirement process and the policies involved. No matter if I leave or not, I will not be old enough to collect Social Security or my pension or my 401K. I cannot touch any of it until I am 59 years old. That is if I want my whole amount. This includes my pension and my 401K. I can always take it before, but there would be a penalty. Also, there is no longer a lump sum, but installments for the rest of your life.

Problem number two, the company ended up being sold to another which means different policies. All of that might change. I'm sure they will not honor any of us pre-retirees who are on the verge. A lot to think about and most likely an adaptation to new polices will be in store.

So what is the new plan? Well, I can either wait until 59 years of age or I can start saving money now. If I can start saving enough money on the side, I can always live off that or use it to buy something small for myself, either way, money is the answer. 

You can understand my disappointment to think I might have to wait an additional two years. I was certainly looking forward to pursuing my extracurricular activities on a larger and full time status. My five year plan chart that has been pasted on the wall, came down today. Instead, I purchased a notebook and decided to chart my entries and findings in it. 

This does not mean I have changed my mind about retiring. No, it just means my way for retiring has changed. If there is a will, there is a way and I know I will find it. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...