Sunday, September 13, 2015

Time Well Spent

 "Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness."
Mother Theresa

A typical Sunday morning scene: We awaken at 7 a.m., eat some breakfast ( oatmeal and a smoothie) and prepare for Church. Usually, there is a load of laundry thrown in between or a story to finish up for the blog that day.

As we head out the door, each going her own separate way, we make plans to meet up afterwards by our secret place. Usually by then, it's around 1 p.m., the day well underway. Either we make a quick grocery run or return home, chatting all the way about our mornings at Church.

Suppertime is at 5 p.m., no television or anything electronic allowed. It's funny how both of my kids have this rule about sitting down at the table as a family. I think that stems from my not being around to do that when they were small. I worked on second shift at that time and suppertime was spent apart.

Sunday is family day. That usually means we don't make plans for being apart if we can help it. There are some things that cannot be avoided, but we place a lot of emphasis on spending Sunday together. Today I received an invitation to join a couple of girlfriends at the movies, but I had to refuse. Any day, but today.

The evenings are spent watching a movie, a little workout and everyone goes to their corner by 9 p.m. for some downtime before retiring.

That's our entire day. Now, try to fit in all of my activities into a typical day such as this one, especially now when I'm more tired and I'm looking for a nap. I have found myself growing almost impatient when I'm interrupted, feeling guilty when I see the expression on Emily's face.

These times are so special and I'm forgetting that. I'm shaping her for what is to come in her life and I won't be around. I've realized that very thing this morning. What is more important? My writing? A project I'm working on? Or my family?

So the apartment may look a little messy or there may be some dishes in the sink, but the time I spend with the people I love is so much more precious than a well organized life.

Enjoy your Sabbath and make some memories everyone. Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...