Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Setting Examples


Remember that old saying, " if you want to know what she will look like when she is older, look at her mom".

I've always wanted to be one of those grandmas that actually has a relationship with her grandkids. While some take pride and hope for many grandchildren, all I wanted was at least one. Quantity was not on my mind in the least. That's not to say that I didn't want as many as I could be Blessed with.

I think the biggest compliment we can pay to our ancestors is by taking up and continuing the traditions they began. That could be something as minor as reading a bedtime story a certain way. Or a special snack after a successful event.

We think of traditions as something huge like Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners, but I'm speaking of something a little more personal. My fondest memories of my grandparents involve such little traditions.

My grandfather always had some sort of candy in a drawer in the parlor just so he could give one to us when we visited. My grandma and I spoke to each other every Monday morning until she moved away back home to Poland. I still can vividly remember grandma teaching me how to churn butter and how she would place her hands behind her back when she walked. I can remember . . . .

My grandfather has long since passed away, but my grandma still living at the age of 95 years, but the traditions still live on, because they meant so much to us, we want the same for the next generation. 

 I can see my son reading a bedtime story, altering his voice for each character the same as I did to him when he was small. The traditions will continue and new ones will be made. A little bit of me will always be left behind in each new generation to come.

Have a Blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...