Saturday, September 22, 2012

All Of My Life

  The day passed quickly with numerous odds and ends performed amidst a mixture of pleasure and duty . Still , all that busyness couldn't erase the taste of failure that loomed overhead from the night before . How do I not bring it home ? How do I stop caring ? How do I become what I was before ? How do I become two people ? One work and one home ? I simply can't .
   The open road has always held an appeal to me . It spells freedom . Never have I wanted to get on it like now . Just get in my car and drive , wherever the road may take me , let that be my new home . A clean slate to start over .
   All of my life , I've stepped up , I volunteered , I gave up lunch , I came in early and left late . I've raised my hand and took on whatever had to be done . Not just at work . My home . My friends . My church . I've always taken on whatever had to be done whether I wanted to or not . But I did it because I understood the need for someone to take the lead . No matter who does it , it has to be done .
   There is a downside to all of that . A downside because with taking the lead comes responsibility and it's not always welcomed . Or appreciated . A downside because with respect comes disrespect . With success comes failure . With leadership comes authority . Authority is not always welcomed or favored  .
   Lately , I've felt more failure as a leader at work . Last night was one of those nights . Right at the start , I felt a forcefield of resistence to anything that had to be accomplished that night . There is nothing worse than knowing you will lose the fight but you still have to fight that fight . You still have to get into the rink and lose .
   Every night , I have close to fifty people that I have to manage . Their moods , their complaints and  the problems they are facing on any particular night that I try to solve . You really need to develop tough skin to keep turning that cheek . I can't seem to  do that . I feel every slap . I don't know how to become hardened .
   With the promotion looming ahead , I have begun to wonder if I'm cut out for this type of job . Walking out this morning , with my shoulders slumped , feet dragging and head hanging down , a sense of failure overtakes me . If they approached me right now with the offer , I would have turned them down . Today , I have failed . Has  David , Moses , or Paul ever felt like this ? A sense of utter defeat ? Did they want to give up ? Right now , I want to .
    Upon returning to work from my illness , I've been struggling with my job . Struggling , because I have changed . I have become so aware of feelings and emotions . I've developed compassion and caring for these people even if they don't see it . I am melting on the inside . I cannot become hardened .
    There , in the office , a friend said to me : You're Christian views guide you as you deal with the people and their issues . That is a plus .
    Is it a plus ? Right now , it feels more like a Cross . I need prayer , my friends , for strength and endurance .
    Let's have a Blessed Sunday everyone .

1 comment:

  1. Treat yourself with the same kind and compassionate hand you give to the people you manage. You are just as worthy of some TLC as they are! We all have our failing moments. You are not just some robot on auto-pilot for the benefit of others. Let the love of the Lord settle on your head tonight, Lottie. He loves you and accepts you with all of your flaws, whatever they are. Praying for you, dear friend. Tomorrow is another day... :)

    ReplyDelete

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...