Friday, July 13, 2012

Time To Eat

   Every television show or movie portrays families sitting down and eating dinner together . In reality , we know it's very difficult to sit down together and share a meal on a regular basis . Our busy schedules interfere and it seems that everyone has different activities at different times .
  One thing , Emily and I , wanted to do when we moved in our current place , is to make time for "supper " everyday . Emily calls it supper because long time ago that's what it was called and people  "supped together " .
  We made a decision that during our supper there would be no television and the time would be spent talking about our day . Now , we are far from  being the Brady Bunch , but I think that my being sick ( again ) has changed our perspective . Time is important to us . We want to spend it together as much as possible .
  It seems that suppertime has brought us closer together . We discuss what meals we are planning . We try to implement a new dish or ingredient into our meal time . Food has become the glue that strenghtens our relationship . It has become a sort of hobby of ours . We shop together , We discuss the meal , what worked and what didn't . We even take turns cooking .
  Believe me , there are times that I wish we could just sit in front of the television with a plate of  takeout . Yet , I understand Emily's need of the family unit especially with it being threatened by my health .
   As I've said before , I believe this is our bonding moments that she will remember long after I'm gone . Still . . . . . . there are moments of weakness where I dream of fried rice and a good mystery on PBS wearing only my PJ's . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...