Saturday, July 14, 2012

That Yarn Thing

   Sitting in the waiting room of my Oncology Clinic , I pull out my crocheting to pass the time until my name gets called . Going to the doctor involves practically my whole morning  and sometimes longer . Crocheting helps with the waiting .
   Starting a new slipper , My eyes sneak a sidelong peek at the woman sitting across from me . She has been staring at my hands as they manuever the hook in and out of the loop . Her eyes never leave me . That yarn thing brings alot of attention . Mostly curiousity .
   Walking to the examining room , I'm stopped a few times by the nurses wanting to know how my project is getting on .
    It's the same thing as my vitals are taken . Heads pop in inquiring , " What are you making , Ms. Krol ?"
    The doctor enters , " Well , that looks like an interesting hobby . You can make alot of neat things doing that . Alot of men knit nowadays .  Maybe , you can teach me ."
    That yarn thing again . It seems that everywhere I go people get interested . Their Aunt or grandma used to knit . They , themselves , learned when they were young but stopped . I hear the stories . My crocheting seems to stir up memories of their youth . Is it really so rare to see someone knitting or crocheting nowadays ?
    We are attracted to the old . . . . to history  . . . . to the past . Crocheting or any other craft seems to be a thing of the past . We are a processed world . Everything is microwavable . . . . instant . People are in a rush and have no time for the slow process of making something by hand from A to Z .
    There is a huge satisfaction , to me , in watching the beauty unfold as an idea inside my head becomes a reality . In this instance , a crocheted slipper .
    Sitting down for my next appointment , I continue crocheting . A lady sits down besides me and I feel her gaze . I look up and she smiles looking down  at my unfinished slipper  . There's that yarn thing again .

1 comment:

  1. History is what defines us, tells us who we are and where we came from. :) You use to be Wladyslaw Krol, now your Lottie!

    ReplyDelete

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...