Tuesday, April 30, 2019

The 100 Day Project: Day 26 Of Writing

                                                                 Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.



Write it on your heart that 
every day is the best day in the year. 
No man has learned anything rightly
 until he knows that every day is doomsday.
—Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Over the years, I have made several things for my family and friends. I have to say, that almost all the things I have made have been appreciated. I only had one incident where my gift has been re-gifted to someone else. I didn't find this out until years later and by accident. You know, it is true what they say, that all things come to light eventually. No lie can be hidden. 

I have heard from many of my fellow crafters that this happens quite often. We spend so much time and carefully try to accomplish this beautiful item for a Christmas gift or a baby shower only to discover that it is sitting in a closet never being used at all. There are many crafters out there who have a wonderful talent whether it is sewing, knitting, DIY projects or even writing. Not all people want homemade things.

These same fellow crafters of mine have chosen a saying to fit this dilemma we all face. We like to ask ourselves before making anything, are they crochet worthy?  

We are often asked to make a blanket or other item for someone, but we are very cautious due to the fact that many of us have been burned. People would ask for a specific item and we would make it. When the time came for payment, some of us would get stiffed. This only happened to me once, even though I only ask for cost of yarn. I do not charge for my labor. 

Nowadays, I have established quite a technique to wean out the not so serious ones. Whenever someone asks for an item to be made, I tell them to buy the yarn themselves and I will make it. Usually, when the person is serious, they do so gladly. When the opposite, I never hear from them again. This sort of eliminates the problem. 

I often wonder if people like what I make them. Is it the gift or the thought behind it that makes a gift special? Or the fact that someone took the time to prepare it for you? Not really sure. I do know that one of my favorites are the small gifts that are so meaningful and some not even pricey. To me, the fact that someone took the time to shop, to create and send it is enough. They must really love me to do so. Are you crochet worthy? I think so.

Have a blessed day everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...