Friday, January 5, 2018

The Pros And Cons Of Coffee

                                                                        Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                        everyday is a journey.


Write it on your heart that every day
 is the best day in the year. 
No man has learned anything rightly
 until he knows that every day is doomsday.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson.


Well, all of you know that I gave up coffee a few weeks back. Honestly, that craving for a good cup of java doesn't chase me. Instead, I'm having a problem substituting a good cup of tea in return, but that's another post. As an incentive to keep going, I thought I would look up the benefits of no coffee in my life. I was surprised that the pros and cons of coffee are equally balanced. 

Of course, I let my fingers do the talking and googled pros and cons of coffee. There is a wealth of information out there on this subject. Basically, all of them are saying the same thing, so I think it all depends on you and what are you looking for out of this. 

HARMFUL EFFECTS:
1. More than 4 cups of coffee linked to early death
2. Caffeine consumption may raise blood pressure
3. Increased risk of heart attacks among young adults
4. Caffeine linked to gout attacks
5. Breast tissue cysts in women
6. Caffeine may cause insomnia

THE BENEFITS OF COFFEE:
1. Protection against type 2 diabetes
2. Protection against Parkinson's disease
3. Protection against liver cancer
4. Protection against liver disease
5. Promotion of a healthy heart

Interesting, don't you think? All this time I thought that coffee was very harmful to our hearts. 
Just between you and me, I find it a little hard that there are health benefits to something that 
alters my body's activity. I have never been one to take things that affect my control. While my 
friends experimented with drugs, I wanted no part of it, because I wanted to be the one to 
control my behavior and not any particular thing control me. 

My plan is to stay coffee free, but I will occasionally have a cup at functions or if I'm having a 
busy day. I've done so only twice thus far and haven't really liked how my body responded 
afterwards. Basically, the aroma of coffee being brewed is far more appealing than the actual 
taste for me. This is how I am now since giving it up. In the past, I have enjoyed it very much. 
This is me and I feel the same about medication. 

The best thing to do in this situation is to access what you are hoping to achieve from having 
coffee or abstaining from it. You alone know your body and how it reacts to caffeine better 
than anyone else. Do what is best for you. I think anything that is taken in excess is bad for us 
whether that is coffee or wine or even work. There has to be a balance to things and that also 
means our bodies. So you do what is right for you. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...