Sunday, January 28, 2018

That Unpleasant Topic

                                                        Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.




What I possess, or what I crave,
Brings no content, great God, to me,
If what I would, or what I have,
Be not possest, and blest, in Thee;
What I enjoy, O make it mine,
In making me that have it, Thine.
J. QUARLES.


I stared unbelieving at my Facebook page, reading the message I was tagged in with multiple of my co-workers. Such and such died Sunday night of prostate cancer. I knew he was sick, even suspected he took a bad turn, but it never entered my head that he would die.

"Please observe a moment of silence for . . . . . . "

The voice over the loudspeaker rang out at work. Everything stopped and total silence ensued. I could feel a lump in my throat. I've known this man for all of my working life here and now he was gone. Another cancer victim, prostate this time. That's four deaths this year alone, 3 for cancer and 1 for ALS.

As a Christian, I believe in life with Jesus after we die. Yet it's sad to see someone suffer and die, where we cannot be with them any longer.


We are born. We live and then we die. Soon everyone forgets what we looked like and who we were, only mentioning us on birthdays and death anniversaries. After a couple of years even on these days we will be forgotten. 

Dealing with death is something we have to contend with, especially if we have a chronic illness. For some of us, dying is something we haven't thought about at all, claiming we are too young. The rest of us, it becomes a spiritual path leading us to Jesus in Heaven. 

Whatever journey you are on, this isn't something one can avoid. It is always lurking in the background behind the sign of unpleasant things to talk about. We are told to live each day as if it was our last. I believe it to be true. We should be ready both spiritually and mentally to face come what may. It doesn't make us morbid or as if we were quitting life. It makes us smart. Death isn't something we should be afraid of talking about, so let's start a long awaited conversation. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...