Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Five Love Languages

                                                           Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.



I do not ask, O Lord, that life may be
A pleasant road;
I do not ask that thou would'st take from me
Aught of its load.
For one thing only, Lord, dear Lord, I plead:
Lead me aright--
Though strength should falter, and though heart should bleed--
Through peace to light.
--Adelaide A. Procter

I have heard my son, the Pastor, speak of the love languages we all have and need. Every one of us has their own that defines who we are and what we need to fulfill our hearts. We don't feel complete until we feel our love language is being fed regularly. The five love languages are:

1. Words of affirmation
2. Quality time
3. Receiving gifts
4. Acts of service
5. Physical touch

Which one are you? Which one do you need to feel loved? Appreciated? I need words of affirmation. I will work hardily at a project, giving it my all, and because of that I do expect someone to say, you did great, Lottie. I need to feel respected. 

It's easy to discern who we are, but what about other people? When it comes to our loved ones, we know all about them, but strangers are too difficult to diagnose. If only we were able to see which love language appealed to the people we meet everyday. Wouldn't it be so much easier to interact with them?

Maybe before we jump to conclusions about others, we should first try to see what it is they are truly seeking. Is it affirmation or the attention of love? Do they need my time or perhaps just my remembrance of their birthday? Or special event in their life? What would it take for us to be a little more attentive to people's needs? For some of us that may require to care about our fellow humans. 

The question here is whether we are willing to care about total strangers, especially ones that are so very different from us in appearance, faith and lifestyle. They're so easily fended off to someone else, anyone but me. 

Believe me, I struggle with judging others just as much as the next person. I have looked at strangers and without even knowing their circumstances, I've already made up my mind. What I'm saying here is hard for me to do as well. I could never write about something that is alien to me. I've lived it. I've experienced it. I want to change it. Don't you? Let's be more aware of others' love language so we can minister to their needs and not our wants for them. There is a difference and I hope we can tell. 

Have  a blessed day everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...