Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Advent

                                                                        Everyday is a brand new day, 
                                                                          everyday is a journey.


Whatever God does is well!
In patience let us wait;
He doth Himself our burdens bear,
He doth for us take care,
And He, our God, knows all our weary days.
Come, give Him praise.
B. SCHMOLCK


I can remember as a young girl going to Church and watching the priest light the Advent candles during the Christmas Season. That was my childhood and nowadays I rarely see the practice exercised. Even back then, I had no idea why we did that or what exactly was Advent. Recently, I heard a woman speaker (Joan Kiley) explain the Advent wreath during a woman's breakfast at my Church. 

So what is Advent? It is the coming or the arrival and in this case, the arrival of Jesus. According to Joan, we celebrate what God has already done, what God will do and what God is doing. The wreath is made of a circle of evergreen branches laid flat to symbolize eternal life. The four candles stand in the circle and each one represents one of the four Sundays of Advent.  In the center of the wreath is a fifth candle called the  Christ candle that is lit on Christmas day. 

Now I wish I had followed this lovely tradition of lighting the Advent candles with my children. What a wonderful way of teaching them about Jesus arrival. As I age, I look to the simpler things in life. I look for meaning into all I do. Christmas time has become more of a spiritual matter to me, no longer a materialistic one. 

I want to encourage you to begin holiday traditions with your family, ones that they will continue on long after you've gone. There are so many statistics out about the deterioration of the family. Social media has come between them, placing a divider where conversation and family time used to be. Don't let that happen your family. Start with this one. 

Have a blessed day everyone.

P.S. 
The Gratitude Challenge:
Today I am grateful for a good cup of tea with honey. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...