Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Day 46 Of Writing: Cancer And Family




                                                 Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey. 



A patient, a victorious mind,
That life and all things casts behind,
Springs forth obedient to Thy call;
A heart that no desire can move,
But still to adore, believe, and love,
Give me, my Lord, my Life, my All.
P. GERHARDT.

I often think back to that first time with cancer. If I could go back, I would change a few things. For one, I would include my two children more in my recovery. In fact, they would be all in it with me. I relied on my family way too much to pull me through. I think I was so starved for their love and attention that I allowed them to take care of me. I loved every minute of it. They pampered me, took over my household, the paperwork, basically everything. I totally basked in it. 

I was selfish, though, because my children needed me. Maybe it couldn't be any different. All of us were going through something very dramatic, very emotional and very painful. My son reached out to his listening audience on the radio telling them all about me. My daughter just started her first year in culinary school. It was harder for her, because there were people in our family that thought she was too young to handle it. There were things that were kept from her. I wish I had known that then. I was in the hospital all the time or at least the first four months oblivious to everything , except what I was going through at that moment.

When the cancer returned four and a half years later, I took control of it's role in my life. I realized then that this was to be my lifestyle. Ever since then, my children have played a huge part in my recovery and decision making. You see, in the end, they will be the ones making all the vital decisions, the arrangements and the grieving. It's definitely not easy for any family member when it comes to cancer, but the main idea here is to keep them well informed of what is going on. Don't hide the truth, no matter how painful it may be. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...