Friday, May 10, 2019

The 100 Day Project: Day 35 Of Writing

                                             Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.




A blue bird built his nest
Here in my breast.
"O bird of Light! Whence comest thou?"
Said he, "From God above:
My name is Love."
A mate he brought one day,
Of plumage gray.
"O bird of Night! Why comest thou?"
Said she: "Seek no relief!
My name is Grief."
—Laurence Alma-Tadema

It was during my last bout with cancer that I found out how much money I really needed to be off while in treatment. Money has always been a concern of mine , especially when  a recurrence happens. FMLA is great to have, but it is unpaid leave from work. That's why it is very important to have some sort of money set aside for an illness. If your work offers a short term/long term disability, I would certainly recommend you sign up for it when you are opting for Health Benefits in the Fall. Even then, that will not be enough.

Like I mentioned at the start, back in 2016, I thought I was pretty well prepared money-wise having saved up to a month ahead for expenses. I quickly learned it wasn't enough. While the FMLA and disability paperwork was filed well before the due date, it did not go through until six weeks later from when the treatment began. My month's saving wasn't enough.

That is one thing that is always weighing heavily on my mind. Do I have enough money saved? That's another huge reason why I want to be debt free. This way, any money coming in will be basically for the four walls of my apartment and savings. That will  make a difference in how I deal with recurrences. No longer will anxiety and worry weigh on my shoulders. I can concentrate on what needs to be faced . . . the cancer!


All financial advisers say that a good three months savings is needed for those emergencies we may face. For me that means cancer treatment and recovery. What a relief that will be. Having learned my lesson, I am now taking steps in making sure I am better prepared for the next recurrence. It seems each bout brings on a new learning curve. Thank goodness for that.

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...