Monday, May 13, 2019

The 100 Day Project: Day 38 Of Writing

                                                       Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                         everyday is a journey.



Speedily the mark to find;
As the lightning from the skies
Darts and leaves no trace behind;
Swiftly thus our fleeting days
Bear us down life's rapid stream;
Upward, Lord, our spirits raise;
All below is but a dream.

I am amazed when I see people who are having chemotherapy traveling from one state to another. Even more amazed when they go into another country. I've done some travelling while in treatment, but it was very minimal. In fact, I have read somewhere it is unadvisable to be travelling in an airplane while under chemo. Not sure if it is true or not. I have tried to be grounded during all my bouts with cancer just to be on the safe side.

I remember very clearly one incident where a friend and I decided to take a road trip to visit Joey. It might have been in Missouri, but I am not sure. I felt pretty good. Each treatment comes in intervals of once every three weeks. I was in what I like to call the "in between" treatments. That one week that we actually feel pretty good. I do remember it was quite a long trip. We stopped at every rest stop along the way. I had issues, okay.

Another time, I just finished with radiation a week before I left on a Women's Retreat to St. Louis. I was so excited, because it was a dream come true for me. I've always wanted to go on a retreat that lasted several days. I was a bit afraid of eating since during the radiation everything went through me and they had me on a BRAT diet. Everything was fine until the last day before I had to leave for home. We had some chicken noodle soup and I ended up in the bathroom for the remainder of the night.

I wish I could say that I have learned my lesson, but honestly, I would probably do it again. We always feel okay, don't we? Nowadays, whenever I am going away for whatever length of time, I prepare. First, I take with me all my vitamins and some anti-diarrhea pills. That might sound a bit like too much information, but people who have had radiation understand what that means. Certain foods can set us off, because our bodies are never the same again. I also make sure I have all my identifications, my insurance card and my port card. One never knows when they might be needed. Oh yes, my address book, too.

Another thing I do is check out the local restaurants in the area to see what kind of food is available. Again, I have to be pretty choosy in what I eat or I will have problems. There is also beverages or I should say, water.  If I am travelling by car, I can bring a case of water with me. It is always easier that way. If travel is done another way, well, things may be a little bit limited.  Other way, I case the joint. I try my best to live as normal as possible, even if all of this sounds a bit crazy.

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...