Monday, March 28, 2016

The Waddle

                                         
                                                     Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                           everyday is a journey.

--Charlotte Perkins Stetson.

My writing desk is pleasantly placed in front of my bedroom window. I love the view that inspires me as I write. I can see the life of my neighborhood come alive as the day unfolds and resides.

It was during one of my writing excursions that I happened to look up and see the faithful Jehovah Witnesses going round, house by house. What was different about this group was their age. I could visibly see they were elderly, which totally amazed me that they would want to go up and down stairs to preach. Yet, they did.

I am a woman of fifty-one years of age. I do not walk normally anymore, instead I waddle. Getting up in one swift motion out of a chair is out of the question. I look at a flight of stairs with total dismay. My left leg aches, my knee swells up and arthritis has settled in. I can predict the weather without glancing at the forecast. All I have to do is look to my leg.

I am in awe of anyone my age who can do any of these things like a young person. There is a woman in her seventies that I work with whom I've seen running (yes, running!) to the time clock. I've seen her kneel and sit back on her legs like it was nothing. If I go down, I'm not coming up.

How do they keep themselves so limber? Is it a lifetime of exercise? I have to admit that exercise is something I avoid as much as possible, but even I have to succumb to it. . . occasionally.

 So I have to admit, I stopped writing and my eyes kept following these Jehovah Witnesses. Even though they had that "waddle" when they walked, they still handled those stairs much better than I ever would. 

I sincerely hope you have a wonderfully blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...