Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day Eight

Dear Diary ,

Happy 4th of July ! 

I woke up this morning full of energy . I made coffee for myself and green tea for Emily along with some breakfast . Drawing the living room curtains aside , I pulled the chairs right up to the window , placing our morning meal on the side table  . 

There are many privileges to living in a small village township . One of them happens to be the parade that passes through right in front of our building . This was the first time I would be watching a parade since a wee girl . Never really enjoyed them before until today .

I cannot tell you how much fun we had sitting in our PJ's and  eating our breakfast , while cheering on the floats ! We hollered out the window , clapping and waving wildly like we have never seen a parade . 

We cheered on the basketball , football and cheerleader teams . The Mayor and Alderman passed through and we waved , not caring what Party they belonged . Those cute little Brownies and Boy Scouts ! The band stopped , swirling flags and trumpets blaring , we stood up and marched in place !

We have a milk company  ( who knew ?) and they were passing out mini cartons . Look ! There's one of our Sunday School students riding his decorated bicycle . When the Fire Trucks came roaring through , everyone was on their feet cheering . 

What fun ! I also learned something new about Emily . When she would spend her weekend by her dad's during 4th of July , they would ride the parade ! He would drive an antique car and she would pass out candy to the kids . I never knew that . 

Every year my niece would host this Holiday with a traditional pulled pork and everyone  would bring a side dish . Let's not forget a swimsuit as they have a hot tub . This has become such a tradition that all of their friends are like family to us , some even call my mom " Babcia " . 

It was great to see the family , especially my many nieces and nephews that we don't see on a regular basis . One thing I can say about my family is that we are open to everyone . It makes no difference if you are a  friend , or an in-law of an in-law , I consider you family . Or at least , I do .

The night usually ends with a drive to our local High School for a fireworks display . Did I mention that my niece also lives in the small village as I ? These past two years , I have opted not to go and instead went home . 

It has become a nightmare with the fireworks , with people shooting them off in the streets , alleys , and their backyards . The air was thick with fumes , setting off my fire alarm in my bedroom  that night . I understand people are celebrating , but sometimes ,  people forget what the Holiday really is and just want an excuse to party . 

We ended the day on a very happy note and with another round with the elliptical .

Have a Blessed day everyone . 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...