Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Perfect Card

   Yes , it's that time of the year again . Father's Day is fast approaching . I'm in search of that perfect card .  Buying a card for my father is one of my most dreaded experiences . There is no card out there that says what I feel for him .
   I literally go from store to store searching . Every card I pick up has sentiments like " I respect all you have done for me " and " I admire and deeply love you ." That's great when you have a relationship with your father . A loving history . But what about the rest of us .
   Until recently , my father has not been in my life . He wasn't there through all my ups and downs .. . . . through my life . It was my cancer that brought him back . That was the first time we spoke in 23 years .
   My feelings for him are not of anger . I have forgiven him long time ago . Our relationship now is not rosy and full of bonding and secret sharing . But.......it has evolved to having a mature conversation . You see , in all of my 42 yrs { then } I have never sat down  and been able to converse about anything and nothing in particular  with this man .
   We may not call each other daily or weekly but we do occasionally have a chat . A pleasant chat . It is difficult to find a card because I feel like I'm lying if I buy one of those sentimental cards . Why can't there be a card that just states " Happy Fathers Day "  for those of us who don't have that perfect relationship .
   So yes , I continue to shop for that perfect card that states " hey , I'm glad we renewed our father/daughter relationship ". They really need to make real cards for us real folks that have real relationships  . Have a Blessed Week everyone and I hope you have better luck getting your cards .
   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lottie, you're not alone. I always have a hard time trying to find the card that says, "Happy Father's Day! I love you." I love my dad, he just wasn't there for me like my mom always has been. Those cards are out there, you just have to keep on looking. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...