Sunday, May 13, 2018

Supper Time Is Sacred

                                                                               Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                                everyday is a journey.


Pitch they behavior law,
thy projects high,
so shalt thou
humble and magnanimous be
sink not in spirit who
aimeth at the sky,
shoots higher than he that
means a tree.
George Herbert


It's always incredibly funny to me that both of my children love to sit down at the kitchen table for Supper. No television or phones or any kind of devices are allowed, just family conversation. I think it all has to do with the fact that I've worked second shift during their childhood and that was something we rarely did as a family. I wasn't around at Supper. I was at work.

It's no surprise to me at all that even though Emily has been working on Sunday religiously, she still wants that Supper time. We've made accommodations to have lunch together on Sunday before her schedule to work. 

Funny thing is that people I know think that's crazy. Their belief is that families don't sit at the kitchen table anymore. I'm afraid they are correct. I can remember far back when I was a young girl going over to my friend's house. Supper was spent in total silence. They might have sat at the table together, but no one spoke a word. Her mom would read a book. Her dad the paper. My house was no different. Both my parents were away at work, so us kids would eat wherever and whenever. 

Those were the times and we turned out fine. Yet, it seems my kids wanted more and changed our whole Supper routine for the better. Where did they get all that smarty stuff? I wish I was as smart at their age, life would have been better. Or at least, smoother. What does Supper time at your house look like? 

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...