Sunday, May 20, 2012

Memory Set Go !

 If I asked you , what is the very first memory that pops into your head right now  . . . . . .what would that memory be ? Mine is always the same . It's my brothers and I when we were extremely young back in Poland running through the fields . Now , I'm not very sure of our age or what followed after that because we were very young when we came to this country . I was 7 years old .
  That memory always comes to mind . I find it funny that I think of my brothers rather than my children . I think that has to do with my age . In our twenties , we think of our friends . In our thirties , we think of our children . Any age  after that , I believe we think of our childhood .
  My grandmother is well into her nineties and all she talks about is her childhood . That's not because she has reverted to childlike behavior . Not at all . She simply seems to like that time better .
  I believe it's because that was a time in our life where we were free to roam and all we knew was love . We were innocent and the trials of the world really didn't touch us . That love was simple , it was true and it was free . We could run freely through the fields .
  Don't we all wish we could feel like that again ? Was my childhood idyllic ? No, like many people out there , I grew up with an alcoholic father who would beat my mom on a regular basis . I never saw my dad sober . Here I am , 47 yrs. old and finally I'm able to have a conversation with my dad . That took alot of forgiveness on both our parts . I had to forgive him and he had to forgive himself .
  Yet , here is my memory ....of running through the fields with my brothers . There is something special about our childhoods that we don't appreciate until we are much , much older . It is our heritage , our history , our stories that we want to pass on to the next generations .
  That's one reason  , I believe , that my grandma keeps telling stories of her youth ....so we don't forget .
What is your first memory ? Care to share ? Have a Blessed Week .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...