Sunday, May 20, 2012

Just A Sunday School Teacher

   Sunday School. . . . . . let me tell you about my Sunday School . My becoming a Sunday School teacher is one of those  " God moments " in my life .
   When I joined this church in 2007 , I had a desire to serve but didn't know in what ministry . I saw my fellow church friends join one ministry after another , finding their niche . I'd look at all the volunteering ministries and try to see myself there . Yes , I could be a Greeter or be part of the Tech Team but there was no passion in my heart for either .
   One of my best friends , Anna , taught 1st and 2nd grade Sunday School . She asked me if I would be her helper . . . . her assistant .Of course , I would . Anna and I were inseparable since we both were single and mothers . I have to be honest that it never occurred to me to help out in the children's ministry .
    After a couple lessons , a little seed was planted and a little voice kept whispering in my ear and heart . Maybe , just maybe , I can do this . This went on for months ! I felt fear and doubt . Thinking about it and actually doing it were two separate things . No one knew of my secret desire of maybe teaching the children . At that time , it was just an idea . This is where I believe God made the choice for me and gave me a little push .
    One day the Children's Ministry Director was passing out schedules and there I was as a teacher for the 1st and 2nd graders ! Now , I have never told anyone so how did she know? I felt it was God sending me a message . Excitement took over fear .
   I wish I could say that my first day teaching was fantastic and profound . It was quite the opposite . The copier broke down so I couldn't make copies . The kindergarten teacher didn't show up so I ended up with her class as well as mine . Whatever I prepared was too difficult for her class . I ended up winging it .
   Even though my first day didn't quite turn out as in my dreams . .. . .well , it didn't matter . Missionaries all over the world teach with a piece of chalk and slate . I can teach these children . Looking around at these little faces , some of these faces I have taught since my beginning , I feel a sense of pride . I have come to know them , teach them and watch them grow .
 People have asked me how I can deal with all these children at one time . To them , it's one of the difficult ministries to volunteer . I never felt like that . I have always loved what I do .I love these children .Have a Blessed Week .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...