Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Becoming A Mother

     When I was growing up , I usually was the one who did all the babysitting . My parents entertained every weekend and if anyone brought children they were left with me while the grownups enjoyed each other's company . Needless to say , having children of my own was never a priority .
     While my friends dreamed of getting married and raising children , all I dreamt about was getting an apartment on my own . Funny , that I ended up being the first of my friends to have children and I had four of them . The part about living on my own in that apartment ? Well , it never happened .  That's how life is and sometimes my plan is not the same as God's .
     When I became a mom for the first time , I experienced a love unlike any other I have known . Being a mother is an experience that I didn't plan on but God knew what was inside my heart . He knew how much love I had and He knew of the bond that would develop between my children and myself .
      To me , Mother's Day , is not just for women with children . I believe that all women are mothers to all children . Whether we are Aunts , sisters , neighbors or co-workers . . .we are nurturing , understanding , loving role models to all children in our lives .
      In my life , I am surrounded by all types of women . Some are mothers and some are trying to be mothers . Some adopted or some that gave up for adoption . Some are raising their siblings children and some that are raising their grandchildren . Each of us have one thing in common . . . . the love we have for these children .
      As Mother's Day approaches , I find myself thinking of my own mom . I look at myself and how much she has influenced my life . How she has formed me into the woman I am today without my knowing . When did this happen ? I wasn't aware of the learning process . When did I learn to become so much like her ?
      Happy Mother's Day  to all women !

1 comment:

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...