Tuesday, February 6, 2018

The Frugal Life

                                                                    Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


There are some hearts like wells green-mossed and deep
As ever summer saw,
And cool their water is, yea, cool and sweet;
But you must come to draw.
They hoard not, yet they rest in calm content,
And not unsought will give;
They can be quiet with their wealth unspent,
So self-contained they live.
--Author unknown.

It's easy to believe that the simple way of life has intrigued me as I've aged, but that wouldn't be really true. In a way, I've been living the simple way of life all of my life. Coming here from a communist country, we didn't own too many materialist items. I grew up living the life of an immigrant. That's a different kind of life.

We were our parent's translators until they too learn the language. For some reason, children always seem to learn the language faster. I actually have a memory of the first few days where my older cousin Anna was teaching me the alphabet using blocks. 

My point here is that being an immigrant in this country meant living with a lot less than the average person. One begins a life here completely from scratch. We didn't exactly bring pots, pans and furniture in our suitcases from Poland.

Then I grew up, had a young family, became a single mom and living frugally was a necessity in all of it, not a choice. So I've been frugal all of my life. My desire for simple living has brought being frugal to another level. What started as a necessity became a way of life. How far can I go? Well, as far as I can!

Since moving here, it seems we have gone in the opposite direction. Well, maybe not entirely. We definitely had to replace or upgrade a few items like a flatscreen telly, some kitchen appliances and a new computer tower. Just naming a few. At least, we didn't oppose any of our rules when it comes to spending. It has to be broken to get another. 

Being frugal does not mean being cheap. It means using all of our resources or item to the fullest. Does it have multiple uses? Can I make several things with it? In another words, nothing goes to waste. Being frugal makes your money last. Period.

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...