Sunday, February 19, 2017

Worldly Wealth vs. Spiritual Wealth PT.1

 

                                                Everyday is a brand new day,

                                                        everyday is a journey.

 

  I have always been a person who wanted to know more. I was never satisfied with a simple answer of "because I said so" or "that's the way life is". I wanted to learn as much as I could while I was here on this Earth. It's almost funny how much we change as we become older. The things we enjoyed as young blooded adults are completely opposite to where we are now. Things we desired and fought for, no longer hold appeal. With that in mind, it's no surprise that my desires have changed so drastically.


Nothing could have been more truer in that respect when I was a small girl. I wanted things in grandeur style. I believe that stemmed from not having much as a child. We were new immigrants from a communist country and I desperately wanted to fit in. I wanted a grand home with a wrap around porch. I wanted many children. I wanted a huge car. I even wanted to work in a hi-rise building. I had huge desires and dreams. I would pour over magazines, circling in red pen all the things I would buy when I became an adult. I would save stacks of magazines and catalogs that I would pour over dreaming of that day. My brothers had a blast making fun of me and occasionally still bring it up.


My view really wasn't different from everyone else while growing up. We all dreamed big, didn't we? I compared my successes in life by what I owned. The bigger and more expensive the item, the more successful I felt. In that instance, size did matter to me. Everything had to be grand and massive. I owned 32 pairs of shoes! I wanted one of every shape and color. I wanted it all. In my mind, I thought that acquiring worldly wealth was all that life was about. Isn't that what they call the "American Dream"?


How much time is spent in shopping? Or in hobbies? Or in making money? We need to ask ourselves what am I here for and what do I want to accomplish? It's funny how these questions would have different answers all based on my age  when asked. Life just became simpler as I aged. In all this time, I believe that my life really didn't change, but I've changed and the way I dealt with it.


Over the years, I've turned away from worldly treasures that obviously brought me zero happiness and ran straight towards spiritual fulfillment. It didn't happen overnight. It slowly developed over a few years before I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. That diagnosis changed everything in my life and for that reason, I will always be thankful for my cancer. It woke me up to the real purpose in my life.

To be continued. . . 

Have a Blessed day everyone. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...