Sunday, February 26, 2017

Things To Take To A Friend In Need

                                                        Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                        everyday is a journey.



And yet these days of dreariness are sent us from above;
They do not come in anger, but in faithfulness and love;
They come to teach us lessons which bright ones could not yield,
And to leave us blest and thankful when their purpose is fulfilled.
ANON.

One of the most asked questions of me pertains to helping someone with a chronic illness. What can we do to help someone as they go through their illness? From time to time, I've posted several ideas that either someone has done for me or I will love it if they did. 


1. Recently, two of my girlfriends and I decided to go for a treat and have a massage. This wasn't Massage Envy or any other topnotch competitor, but the local foot massage places one sees for half the price. What I didn't know is that this treat I was giving myself ended up being a treat from them. What a nice gesture and it wasn't extremely expensive. Regular one hour massage was like 29.99 and with a Groupon, they paid even less. I still think about that massage, but most of all, I think of the great time we had together. 

2. I think that gift baskets or gift bags of any kind are awesome to receive. I have gotten so many different kinds in these past ten years. I have received one while at the hospital that held basic items everyone requires for a few nights stay. From razors, nail files and puzzle books to just plain socks. Basic dollar store stuff that I had so much fun going through. 

A gift basket can consist of anything. I've received ones that held a variety of books. Another was an assortment of teas. Recently, I've seen one with cookies, brownies and hot chocolate. One could make a gift basket out of anything as long as it reflects the person's taste. God for it!

3. Food is a great choice. You cannot go wrong, it is always appreciated. The only thing I want to add here is to consider the other people in the household. Everyone thinks of the sick person, but there is a family here and everyone needs to eat. The last treatment I've received, I've had many meals delivered. All were delicious and appreciated. There was one that stood out the most in my mind, because this person thought of everyone. Also, if you are visiting someone in the Hospital, please don't forget the relations of that person who are there 24/7. A bagel or cup of coffee would go a long way. Many times, they don't even think of food for themselves. 

4. Now, on the flip side. Please don not take this the wrong way, but sometimes too many visitors can be exhausting. I understand that everyone loves you and cares for you, wanting to call or come over, but it can become overwhelming. I, myself, needed naps as part of my treatment. Entertaining can really tire a person out. It did me. I did not know how to tell someone that I'm tired and could they please go home. I never wanted to hurt anyone's feelings, especially when they came bearing gifts and took the time to deliver them. So please consider that they are sick, they need to rest more and keep the visits short. 

5. Another thing I really loved this past treatment is when others would pick up my prescriptions or drive Emily to her appointment for me. These little things really made a huge difference. I've always been a person who wanted to exert my independence so I never really took people  on their offers. I'm glad I did the last time. What a wonderful help they were to me just by picking up a gallon of milk or painkillers. Thank God for these people. 

I hope this helps whenever a situation arises and a friend is in need. We should always treat others the way we want to be treated when in their situation. 

Have a Blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...