Thursday, January 16, 2014

Simply Java

When I was growing up , I watched my mom gulp down pots of coffee to keep her going from one job to the next . It was the 5-hour energy drink all  rolled up into a small cup . It performed magic ! It was only natural that I follow suit .

I loved coffee ! At that time , a cigarette and a cup set the tone for a perfect moment of relaxation . Most days , it served as breakfast and lunch , doubling as a great substitute for a diet . A travel mug was permanently attached to my hand .

It was about two years before my cancer that I quit smoking and suddenly coffee didn't taste the same . I went through a period of unbelievable loss , anxiously researching different brands to achieve that similar taste I so missed  to no avail . Coffee  wasn't the same anymore . 

When cancer struck , all my taste buds went out the window . Life became a whirlwind of change taking me completely unprepared for what was coming . From that point on , my beloved coffee has taken a back seat , never satisfying my needs quite the same way again . 

Do you know what I miss the most ? I miss the rich savory taste of a morning cup of coffee , sipped on my porch , after everyone was gone for the day . It was a moment of solitude with no interruptions and the coffee was piping hot . I can't even remember the last time I had a hot cup . By the time I get to it , it turns cold . 

Nowadays , I lug around a huge jug of ice water , but I still have a cup of coffee at home . It doesn't have the same effect on me as before nor does it taste as delicious , but I find I still have a need for it . I've tried in the past to eliminate the caffeine entirely from my diet , but it has proved too much . My thyroid and the cancer treatments leave me quite exhausted and I need that perk to keep me going . 

When I compare the amount of intake now to what it was in the past , I know that eventually coffee will leave my daily routine . At one time , I thought I could never quit smoking and now I wonder why I ever smoked . I believe it will be the same with my java . 

Our bodies change , and so do our needs . We adapt and somehow we survive our addictions . Now water has replaced that coffee and when I don't have enough of it , my body tells me almost immediately . Still , memories are stronger . . . . :)

Have a Blessed day everyone . 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...