Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Chemo Day

Walking into the Cancer Center , I drew a deep breath . I spent  the night at work thinking with trepidation of what was to come . There is something about that first day . . . .

People have a misconception of what chemo is like . It is not a dark and gloomy atmosphere . The nurses are very loving and caring . The room itself is very accommodating with a recliner , a television and warm blankets . There is a refrigerator in the hallway filled with different kind of juices and crackers . You can bring anything with you to keep you occupied like a laptop . My very first time with chemo , the room was huge and  all the patients shared . This hospital has no more than two people in a room . Very cozy , very private .

Normally , the first thing that happens is that they take labs to check your levels . This times , my labs will be taken ten days after my infusion . Then you see your doctor . Not all doctors do that , but mine likes to see me and how I'm doing . Then I'm given five tablets of steroids which again , is something different this time because usually I have to take it for five days straight before the treatment . Then the infusion begins . My chemo is red this time which I find to be cool .

During my infusion , the nurse ( Vera ) makes all my appointments and prescriptions . Some she even fills right at their pharmacy . Vera will be my nurse until the very end . Other nurses stop by for a visit to say hello . You get to know everyone quite well .

That concludes my treatment for that day . All the way home , I drank water and ate some crackers as a percaution to any oncoming nausea . I knew I would lie down the minute I got home . By the time I arrived home , I noticed that I guzzled all 96 oz. ! It did taste great ! Good ole saltine crackers and water ! Still the best thing I ever ate !
Have a Blessed Day everyone .




No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...