Sunday, June 16, 2019

Day 68 Of Writing: Chivalry Is Death

                                                    Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey



Years rush by us like the wind,
we see not whence the eddy comes,
 nor whitherward it is tending,
 and we seem ourselves to witness
 their flight without a sense that we are changed:
 and yet time is beguiling man of his strength, 
as the winds rob the trees of their foliage.
—Sir Walter Scott

It was early afternoon, Emily and I just came out of Costco with a shopping cart full of two huge boxes. They were having a great deal on desk chairs and we couldn't pass this up. What I didn't expect was for the boxes to be so darn huge and so darn heavy. The car was already filled with two donation boxes of crocheted items and 5 homeless mats.

Eyeing the already cramped car, Emily said in a funny voice: You didn't exactly plan this well. No, I didn't. After several attempts of moving things around, we were able to get everything in stacked like Legos and super snug. 

Do you know what really was funny? The fact that man after man walked past us and not once did any of them offer to help. We struggled, folks. Those boxes were no joke and thank heavens, Emily was there to lift them. We took care of things, as usual, but we would have been happy with the help.

All the way home, Emily just couldn't get over the lack of chivalry. What is going on with men? We can't even blame it on the younger generation, because the older ones were no different. Don't get me wrong, there are the few that do stop and help, but not that day. 

Is chivalry dead? Is it that men don't feel like women need any help, because of the feminist movement that seems to have come to life in the recent years? Are men not being taught how to treat a woman by their parents? 

It doesn't even matter what the general consensus is out there, because I like to be treated like a lady. I like having the door opened for me. I like having a man carry heavy boxes into my car or up the stairs. I definitely don't feel threatened in any way if I am helped by a man. Instead, I feel respected. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that feels that way. So men, feel free to treat me like a lady.

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...