Monday, January 7, 2019

Checking On Allison


                                                              Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.

I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
Yet know I how a heather looks
And what a wave must be.
I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the chart were given.
--Emily Dickinson

I haven't given up on Allison. I am just giving her the space she has asked for silently, but I am still here in the shadows keeping an eye on her. Occasionally, I get a glimpse of her coming or going to her car.

A few days after Christmas, I saw her going to her car. She must be done with chemo, because there was a stubble of hair showing on her head. Just a hint, really. She sat in her car and burst into tears. 

My heart just burst with concern and love for her. Whatever caused those tears does not really matter. It could have had nothing to do with her condition at all. Take me, I cry at commercials. What concerned me was that she must have been in an emotional and vulnerable state to bring any kind of tears. 

I immediately went to my stash of cards and wrote her a message on the Christmas card. Same message that I have been writing and signing with since the beginning. If you need anything, we are just a knock away. This time, I added that I was a four time cancer survivor. 

I did that, because I wanted her to know that someone cared at that moment. Maybe , she will never come knocking. Maybe, she became even madder at the thought of the busybody next door. Or maybe, just maybe, it made her feel better. 

Only time will tell. There will be a time when we actually run into each other physically and we will exchange words like we used to before her cancer. It seems she has been avoiding people, especially me. 

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...