Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Colonoscopy Pt. 2


                                                   Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


Say, dost thou understand the whispered token,
The promise breathed from every leaf and flower?
And dost thou hear the word ere it be spoken,
And apprehend love's presence by its power?

The directions for the prep were very simple. The large cocktail came with a lemon flavoring packet which made me think it might taste decent. It didn't. At about 5 o'clock, I was to fill the container with warm water, add the flavoring and shake vigorously. Emily handled that part. Next, leave the container in the refrigerator for about an hour to chill. They promised it would taste better. They were right except an hour was not enough for that large size container. I ended up adding ice to my glass. 

When 6 p.m. came around, I positioned myself as close to the bathroom as possible expecting the worst. Every ten to fifteen minutes I was to drink an 8 oz. glass. The taste was horrible even though I could smell the lemon flavoring. It was deceiving. Now, I have developed quite a technique to downing that awful stuff for Ct. scans. I decided to chug-a-lug this cocktail in the same fashion. I could not do it. It was gag worthy and to make it worse, it lingered for . . . . a  . . . . long . . . time. 

I have to say that the actual cleanse was alright. I think it went so well, because I avoided rich and heavy foods. I stuck with the jello and broth. I finished half the container within an hour and a half. The rest was for three hours before the procedure, but I did it more like five. All of which meant that I hardly slept at all that night. By the time morning came and we were at the hospital, I was exhausted. 

I wanted to sleep during the procedure. The odds were looking good since I didn't sleep a wink during the night. I must have a strong resolution, because I was awake the entire time. In truth, I was mesmerized by the procedure. There is a large flat screen in front of you where one can watch everything that is going on inside of you. 

Fascinating! I asked questions nonstop. What is that? What are you doing now? What does a polyp look like? What is that white thing? The doctor looked at me and said: "She is wide awake. Give her some more. She is talking way too much!"

During the procedure, they fill you up with air and water. When it's all over, you can imagine the gas eruptions from my behind. The consolation was that there was no odor to it. Joey had a ball with me remarking jokingly, if I drifted off into the air each time? They do serve you half a ham/cheese sandwich, a Lorna cookie, graham crackers and two juice bottles. My recovery lasted about an hour or less, since there were no complications at all. The IV came out and we walked out for some lunch. 

Lunch was at Panera, a very expensive one consisting of soup and a grill cheese for two. A total of 33.00 dollars and that was with a rewards card plus a free drink. My Lord, he always was an expensive child. He did ask me if I had my talk with Emily about the "what if" moment. I replied that I wasn't worried, because there was my pension, my 401k and work life insurance to split between them. She will be fine. And he says to me:
My Lord woman! What are you waiting for then?

Have a blessed day everyone and don't forget to chuckle in life with your children or loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...