Sunday, December 16, 2018

A Six Year Plan: The Debt

                                                              Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.



What is rightly done stays with us, 
to support another right beyond, 
or higher up; 
whatever is wrongly done vanishes; 
and by the blank, 
betrays what we would have built above. 
--John Ruskin.



The debt . . . we all have it. Some of us are knee deep in it and for others, we have sunk a long time ago. Quite a few years back, I was one of those people drowning in my debt. I made an investment in taking a financial class and I've never regretted it. It has changed everything for me.

Once you get hold of your financial situation, you can make decisions based on how much you owe and to whom. Paying off something, no matter how little, is better than nothing. I wanted to live a life that was debt free and I went out to do just that.

I took a nine week financial class, sat down one day to go through whatever debt I had and began paying off this debt. By the end of these six years, I want to be ahead and not behind. I want to be debt free.

So what does that look like? It's all about choice. The choice I was making in the type of lifestyle I wanted to live. I became tired of barely making it every paycheck. I decided to take control of my life by learning how to manage my money instead of the other way around. It wasn't easy, because the debt was high and the income not large enough to pay it off. As time goes by, the debt becomes smaller and the feeling of freedom more powerful.

If one wants to live a certain way, financial freedom offers that. Getting there is another story. I think the work involved scares off many people from pursuing it. We all crave it and long for it, but the giving up part is difficult. Believe me, I know. There are many times I am visiting a friend and she has this gorgeous home with gorgeous furniture. The green eyed monster comes out. 

So this coming year, I will attack this goal harder than ever. To pay off debt, one needs money whether that means taking on an extra job or working overtime. Either way, it will be done. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...