Saturday, November 25, 2017

Simply Sushi

                                                                      Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                      everyday is a journey.



If the soft hand of winning Pleasure leads
By living waters, and through flowery meads,
Where all is smiling, tranquil, and serene,
Oh! teach me to elude each latent snare,
And whisper to my sliding heart, "Beware!"
With caution let me hear the Syren's voice,
And doubtful, with a trembling heart rejoice.
If friendless in a vale of tears I stray,
Where briars wound, and thorns perplex my way,
Still let my steady soul thy goodness see,
And, with a strong confidence, lay hold on Thee.
--Anna Letitia Barbauld.

I love sushi! This has been quite a surprise to me. I've had some earlier in my life, but somehow, it never tasted that good. I didn't understand how rolled up rice with some herbs was to fill up my tummy as a meal. How boring! 

Well one night, Emily came home with some sushi. I've never seen sushi like this before. This type had salmon, avocado, cream cheese and loads of other stuff. It was delicious and it was filling. And it wasn't cheap. I've learned my lesson. Good sushi costs money!

Like many things in life, I misjudged sushi before fully knowing and tasting it. We all have that problem, don't we? We judge by the way someone or something looks and not by how they truly are. 

I've recently discovered that I am a lot like that, I judge people. Not just everyone, but certain types of people. Not a nice thing to learn about oneself. It's so hard to look in the mirror. One may find something really distasteful. . . like your flaws. 

So what does one do to correct these flaws? Well, some aren't that easy. It's been 2 1/2 weeks without coffee and I really want some! And that's coffee. Imagine if it was something much bigger. Correcting a habit takes much longer and a lot of endurance. 

A co-worker of mine reminded me that we all have these biases and judgment calls when it comes to others. We take bits and pieces of what the world says about religion, race, sex, social studies and attach it to people just by looking at them. Unfortunately, first impressions do matter. If we happened to have a terrible day that effected our impression, well, that's just too bad. It's hard to get that first impression back. Or to erase that opinion. 

I believe that's how we all probably make our judgments on others. We really don't know. We assume. I assume and I'm sure so do you. They say the first step in recovery is to admit it. Well, I've done that and now the real work begins.

Have a blessed day everyone. 

P.S. 
The Gratitude Challenge:
 I am very grateful for mint tea, because I surely miss my coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...