Sunday, November 12, 2017

We're Waiting

                                                                 Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                   everyday is a journey                                                               




When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
  The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
  For I will be with thee thy troubles to bless,
  And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
ANON.

I saw tiny little snowflakes this morning as I took my mom shopping. It was freezing cold, colder than it has been all month. I wasn't prepared for it, no hats or even gloves. My hands were cold and I couldn't wait to get back home. I like the comforts and warmth of my home during the cold weather. Burrowing. 

You see, I'm waiting for that first trekking snow. I'm waiting for that old wives tale I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend. Have you heard of that tale? Have I mentioned it to you? I'm sure I have, but let's have a refresher. We need to take stock of the first trekking snow's date. What date did it fall on? Was it the 10th? The 16th or perhaps, the 25th? Whatever date it does fall on marks how many snowfalls we will have this Winter. 

Last Winter, the first trekking snow fell on December 4, 2016. We did have a very mild Winter with barely any snow at all. Perhaps only 4 days worth? So my friend of a friend of a friend of a friend swears by this old wives tale. So we're waiting. We're watching. We're taking note of just how much is coming down and if it's sticking. Let's put it to a test and see if it really works or not. 

Why does it matter, you ask? Well, for one, we want to be prepared not only mentally, but also physically. If it's a heavy Winter full of snow or the bitter cold of below zero, one prepares for it. We stock up on warm clothing, medicine and even our pantries. In a way, I kind of miss the days of snow like we used to have. Nowadays, the weather is so fickle. One day it's sunny and in upper fifties. The next day, it drops to 12. That kind of temperatures really make people sick. Winter should be Winter. Spring should be Spring and so on and so on. 

I like my four Seasons and wish they would right themselves up and behave. I need them. Right now, back to burrowing. 

Have a Blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...