Thursday, June 22, 2017

That Crazy Mat Lady

                                                            Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


We scatter seeds with careless hands,
And dream we ne'er shall see them more;
But for a thousand years
Their fruit appears
In weeds that mar the land.

Getting my hair done the other week, I was asked the 64,000 question. 

Do you still crochet for that Ministry? Of course. Your not crocheting now like you used to. Well, I'm working on homeless mats out of plastic. Out of what? Plastic.

She sits down and smiles at me, not saying a word. I asked her why she was smiling and she just shook her head. It was a weird smile, you know, like she found it crazy. Like I was crazy. 

This happens quite a lot. People look at me weird like why would I even consider doing something like that? And then with plastic? They don't have time for this silly nonsense of mine. 

It never fails, every time I'm seen collecting or carrying these plastic bags, someone has to ask that question. Always the same reaction. Always. It has gotten to the point where I avoid people. Okay, I get it, I'm the crazy mat lady.


Which it makes me wonder, why do people find this astonishing? Don't people help out one another anymore? Charity work has gone out of fashion? What about volunteering? Oh, I guess that's only for Church.


Then there is that one person, and I mean one person that I run into that changes everything. They get it. They love it. They want to know more about it. They offer suggestions. They make me feel normal.

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...