Thursday, June 15, 2017

My Testimony

                                                           Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                            everyday is a journey.


We live in deeds, not years: 
in thoughts, not breaths:
In feelings, not in figures on a dial.
We should count time by heart-throbs. 
He most lives
Who thinks most, feels the noblest, 
acts the best.

I remember being Baptized eight years ago. It was September 28, 2008. I remember trying desperately to find something to say before my Baptism. We all were taken to the front of the Church Sanctuary facing everyone in the Congregation. We had to make a small speech of why we chose Baptism in our lives. I remember very clearly a good friend of ours saying to me she couldn't wait to hear my Testimony. 

What? My Testimony! Believe me, the last thing I wanted to do is stand in front of people I hardly knew and tell them my story. Newbie that I was, I thought that it meant I had to list all my wrong doings as far back as I could remember. I didn't want anyone to know that!

I prayed and prayed to please help me find the words. When my turn came, I spoke as if someone else was speaking for me. I remember clearly saying how I wanted to live for Christ one hundred and fifty percent and that meant beginning with Baptism. 

My Testimony began many, many years ago at the age of nineteen. I worked as a waitress at this family owned restaurant where I met this other waitress whose name I have forgotten. She invited me to her Church. Well, being raised as a Catholic, I was so shocked to find her Church met in a Hotel Conference Room. The Pastor spoke of sinners being in the room and I freaked out so badly, feeling as if I was in some cult. 

I laugh about this now, because I wonder how many people felt or had this same image when they stepped inside a Christian Church. I can only say that a seed was planted that day, because I never felt right in the faith of a Catholic. There were so many unanswered questions and no one to talk to. Every time I questioned an act, a verse, a commandment, doctrine,  no response satisfied me and yet, I believed in God. I would call myself a Modern Day Catholic. 

Looking back, I know I was searching for answers. I was searching for that relationship with God. It took many years to pass and a friendship with my son's best buddy for that to happen. Joey became a Christian first and then we followed. I remember saying a few times that I would attend Church every Sunday if there was one near me. After going through cancer, a new Church opened in my neighborhood. I went and never looked back to my old life since then. I am glad I have made that decision. 

Remember that old hymn . . . .
  1. I have decided to follow Jesus;
    I have decided to follow Jesus;
    I have decided to follow Jesus;
    No turning back, no turning back.
  2. Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
    Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
    Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
    No turning back, no turning back.
  3. The world behind me, the cross before me;
    The world behind me, the cross before me;
    The world behind me, the cross before me;
    No turning back, no turning back.
  4. Though none go with me, still I will follow;
    Though none go with me, still I will follow;
    Though none go with me, still I will follow;
    No turning back, no turning back.
  5. Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
    Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
    Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
    No turning back, no turning back.

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...