Thursday, July 21, 2016

Throwback Thursday

 

                                    Everyday is a brand new day, 

                                    everyday is a journey.

  Here it is another Throwback Thursday in the year of 2013 where we provided an update on where we are now. 

Nothing has really changed since the post below, except that Linda has passed away already a year and a half ago. Chemo is chemo and the symptoms are the same symptoms more or less. This year we've added another surgery, plus fixed the beginnings of a hernia, tried hormone treatments and added radiation to the mix. 

All in all, I'm doing much better than some all with God's Grace. I guess, He isn't done with me yet. Or I should say, I still have more to do here!

 

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

  Chemotherapy: Good ole chemo. There are more varieties and side effects than there are flavors of ice cream. Google any type of chemo and a long list appears of do's and don'ts. I have been extremely lucky with my chemo. During these three times my cancer has come back, I've only been on three different types. That is huge!

  Poor Linda,  she has been on numerous types and I believe that finally this current one seems to be working. Chemo really does a job on your body. I have experienced all kinds of side effects with the three I have had. I can deal with some and absolutely hate the others. I have placed them into three groups: the good, the bad, the ugly. Here are some examples of the symptoms I've had.

THE GOOD:
 Yes, there is good. The cancer itself is the good. How can that be? The cancer brought an awareness and emphasis on relationships that I haven't known existed. The relationships I have with my children, my co-workers, strangers in the world and with Jesus. I am so aware of the precious time I have with all of these people. That is the good. The sleeping all the time is not bad either.
 THE BAD:
  Being nauseous and extremely tired, are standard symptoms of all chemo. Another few are diarrhea, constipation, numbness and tingling in your hands and feet. All of these, I can handle. They are not pleasant, but you can basically take something for it. It's do-able.

THE UGLY:
  I can't stand steroids and what they do to my body. I gain weight and become bloated every time. Not to mention I turn this unbearable red beet color. Next, metal mouth syndrome. It turns everything I eat to tasting like it's spoiled. By the time I'm done with my treatment, I don't enjoy food. Coffee, for instance, tastes awful. I miss that the most. Another one I detest is losing my hair and eyebrows. I'm fortunate that this time around my hair is only thinning out and not going completely bald.

  Believe me, by the time I'm done with it all, I'm usually very glad it's over. Then the side effects from the side effects happen, but that's another story. 

Oh well, Have a Blessed Night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...