Sunday, July 10, 2016

Throwback Thursday

 

                                    Everyday is a brand new day, 

                                    everyday is a journey.

  Here we are at yet another Throwback Thursday where we take a peek into the year 2013 and provide an update on where we are now.

There are so many "firsts" in life and sometimes, these firsts are repeated over and over again. Yet, each time I've experienced that particular first, it held a different emotion, thus becoming another first.

Even though, I don't have a chemo partner any longer, I would suggest others to have one especially if it's your first experience with chemo. That chemo partner serves a tremendous purpose. Not only do you not worry about transportation, but they provide help with appointments, picking up medications and refreshments. 

Another word of advice if anyone is interested in becoming a chemo partner. Be ready to stay the majority of your day there, bring along some food or drinks and something to keep you preoccupied. I think that people just don't realize how time consuming that chemo treatment can be. Chemo is an all day project. Be prepared for that. 

That First Time

I remember the very first time I ever walked into the infusion area for chemotherapy patients. Everyone looked so frail and thin . . . . so ill. It was a huge room, filled with people. I was astounded to see so many going through chemo. That was the first time, my eyes were opened to the reality of cancer. What you don't see can't hurt you, right?   Cancer is everywhere, affecting everyone, whether it's your friend, co-worker or relative.

My friend, Jan, became my chemo partner. She would pick me up and stay with me for all six treatments. Sometimes, I would sleep or work on my puzzles or crochet, but each time Jan would get us lunch while there.

My emotions toward chemo were great. Compared to all I've been through physically, chemo was a piece of cake . . . . at least  that first bout with cancer. I did seem to be so extremely tired while there. Maybe my body was  so worn out from all those surgeries.

And now? Well, now the room has become smaller, much more private consisting of no more than three people at a time. I don't have a chemo partner by choice. I find I can face it alone now. The symptoms vary from one type of chemo to the next. With each re-occurrence, I have adjusted a little bit more to that acceptance part. My hope is that it will be years before my "next" bout.

Have a Blessed Day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...