Monday, July 4, 2016

A Quiet Fourth


    Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.
                                       
Serene will be our days and bright,
    And happy will our nature be,
  When love is an unerring light,
    And joy its own security.
W. WORDSWORTH.

 So very quiet. I can't remember the last time there was such silence around here. It's almost uncanny. Even though we live in an eight unit apartment building, we're located right smack in the middle of a residential area of single family dwellings. It is very normal to hear the sounds of children running and playing, especially during the Summer months. On the weekends, the sidewalks are filled with people walking their dogs, children biking with their parents or neighbors cutting their lawn. There's always some commotion outside.

It's not exactly a quiet street as people live and enjoy their surroundings. It's one of my favorite things to do is to sit by my picturesque window and write, especially very early in the morning watching the world as the day unfolds. Quite beautiful and calming at the same time. One can learn so much about human nature just by quietly listening and watching. 

It was this serenity that brought back memories of another gorgeous day in another gorgeous place. Every year around this time, Joe and Aubs. go on a family vacation to Santa Claus, In. with their children. It has become a tradition they look forward to. On one of those times, I came with them. To this day, I remember fondly of getting up very early before everyone else and sipping coffee on the patio overlooking a lake. 

It was then that I felt such peace just sitting there watching a mother duck with her ducklings swim around in the early morning. It's amazing how the smallest things can bring such joy in our lives. We certainly do not need the extravagance or materialism to make us happy. It was then that I decided it was time for me to live a simpler life away from the city. One day, I told myself, I would come out here for a week to write. 

Of course, that peace and quiet would only last a mere ten minutes before the "Littles" realized I was outside and came out to join me while their parents slept. We would sit there, the children in their pajamas swinging on the porch swing while I drank my coffee, enjoying the quiet around us. I think they enjoyed it as much as I did.

One day. One day, we will move to a quiet and serene place as the one of my dreams. A place where I can enjoy the simple comforts of everyday life. I have no desire for city life any longer. I'd much rather look at corn fields than an array of cars amidst traffic blaring their angry horns. 

For now, we have this quiet morn to be thankful for. We might as well enjoy it since there is a parade coming soon. Happy 4th of July everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...