Monday, July 18, 2016

The Elliptical


                                                      Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                      everyday is a journey.

I cannot do it alone, 
The waves run fast and high, 
And the fogs close chill around,
 And the light goes out in the sky;
But I know that we two 
Shall win in the end--God and I.
--Unknown

When we first moved into our apartment in 2011, we went searching for some sort of exercise equipment we could workout without leaving the place. We finally made a decision on an elliptical machine we could assemble at home. It came in like a thousand pieces which I promptly put together. Yes, you heard me. I put it together. Even now, I cannot believe I did that. It took me several days, but I finished it. 

We used that poor thing or at least Emily did, on a regular basis. For five years that machine stood in my bedroom proudly displaying my technique of putting things together. I was very proud of that machine. 

Alas, just the other day, it stopped working. The pedals no longer  worked, obviously something on the inside broke. As Emily mourned the loss of the elliptical, all I could think about was how in the world we would carry it down to the trash.

Well, you put it together, then take it apart!

And that's what we did. Believe me, it was much harder to take it apart than it was putting it together.  We struggled and struggled to get all of the pieces out. We were covered in grease and oil, but this morning we finally carried it out to the dumpster. 

It seems to me, that things have been breaking (my car) and people moving away almost like a sign of change coming. This elliptical,  another item from the past being put to rest. We like to cling to where we once were, even if it wasn't a good place. We don't want to let go, because we don't know what the future holds. It much better to cling to what is familiar than to the unknown. At least, that's what we tell ourselves. 

As I look to the open and empty space where the elliptical once proudly stood, I cannot help but wonder what new thing will take it's place. Will it better? I'm almost sure it will, even though it's difficult to see right now. I do know, as we move forward, things become clearer and better, don't they?

Have a Blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...